Learning Hospitality

My personality does not default to being a meticulous housekeeper.  In fact, I only do laundry because I have to have clothes to wear, and dishes only get done because the counter gets full.  Our table collects clutter like a magnet and usually only gets totally cleared off when we know we’re having company.   And then when we do have company, I go into a cleaning frenzy.  (Amazing how much can get done when you find out you’re having company in 1/2 hour!)

Since getting married, I’ve been learning about the importance of hospitality.  I used to equate “hospitality” with “a full-spread meal, perfectly cleaned house, and a pinterest-worthy bedroom and bathroom.”  My father-in-law once said in your marriage and in your ministry, you’ve got to show hospitality.  It is in the home where you get to know people and they get to know you.”  It really is true and has been a challenge to me! Thanks, Pa!

The Bible has a lot to say about hospitality (and interestingly enough, it is in the list of qualifications for a church leader!) There’s an element of ministry in hospitality, as it really boils down to being about people,  and whenever people are involved, it ultimately becomes some form of ministry!

I’ve been learning that hospitality is about welcoming people into our home and hopefully being an encouragement to them while they’re here.  It’s about making them feel welcome and comfortable. It’s about welcoming anyone into our home and offering a cup of water (or whatever else we have) in the name of Jesus.  It’s about offering in simplicity what we have, without feeling like I have to apologize that it “isn’t better.” It’s about showing the love of Christ. Perhaps more than anything else, hospitality is about having a particular attitude about the whole idea. 

THIS ARTICLE really says it better than I can…and it helped open my eyes to the big difference between what is just “entertaining” and what is really hospitality.  We all remember those times we’ve been guests in someone else’s home and have either felt comfortable and at ease or on-edge and almost guilty for imposing on our hosts.

There’s a difference that at times is hard to identify, but it is still there. 

With all that said, and because I’m still learning how to practice hospitality, I’ve been thinking: since I don’t naturally default to being neat, (but I do want to have open doors to guests at any time,) this will take intentionality in some very practical areas.  Here are three measureable goals I’m working on:

1.  Do the dishes—at least once a day—for at least 10 minutes.  Don’t let them pile up (too much, anyway.) (And by the way, I’ve been able to be quite consistent with keeping this goal! Hurray!)

2.  Take 5-10 minutes each day just to pick up those random shoes, books, pens, pieces of mail, etc. that end up in the common areas of the house.

3.  Keep on hand ingredients for a good, yet simple, meal that can be made without too much of an ahead of time notice and will feed more than just the two of us.

What have you learned about hospitality and how to go about it practically?  I’d love to hear your thoughts on it!


Comments

  1. heh. Glad I'm not the only one who has struggles with keeping the dishes washed ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

To Rejoice and To Weep

On Blogging and Doing It For God's Glory

Miscarriage and Comfort in the Psalms