{Personal} Worship in the Psalms

The Psalms have become a precious source of specific encouragement.  I thought I’d take a minute to personally “respond” to particular passages that jumped out at me.  It is incredible how the Psalms keep driving me back to focusing on God, His Character, and His Word, no matter what may be going on around me. 

  (BOLD is Scripture/italics is my “response.”)

Thou hast put gladness in my heart, [joy is part of the fruit of the Spirit and the product of abiding in Him. Yes, He is the only source of true joy and gladness and He wants ME to have it!] more than when their grain and new wine abound [and a good crop gives reason for a lot of rejoicing!]  (Ps. 4:7)

But I have trusted in Thy lovingkindness [trusting in the Lord isn’t just a placement of trust in something ambiguous.  God has revealed His character, and among other things, I have the lovingkindness of God to trust in!] My heart shall rejoice in thy salvation [Salvation is the greatest thing to be thankful for!]  I will sing to the Lord because He has dealt bountifully with me [He has given me salvation! What more can I ask for?]  (Ps. 13:5-6)

Blessed be the Lord because He has heard the voice of my supplication [1 Peter reminds me to cast my cares on Him and that HE CARES FOR ME!  Supplication is one way to “cast my cares.”]  The Lord is my strength and my shield [He gives grace in time of need]; My heart trusts in Him, and I am helped; therefore my heart exults, and with my song I shall thank Him [there is a direct relationship between trusting and the rejoicing that follows because I have placed my trust in God.] (Ps. 28:6-7)

Cast your burden upon the Lord [for He cares for me], and He will sustain you; He will never allow the righteous to be shaken....  (Ps. 55:22)

Thou, O Lord, wilt not withold Thy compassion from me: Thy lovingkindness [every good and perfect gift is from above and all things work to make me like Himself.  Nothing can separate me from His love] and Thy truth will continually preserve me [where but in God’s written Word do I find God’s Truth?  I cannot underestimate the importance of saturating my soul with The Word!]  Let all who seek Thee rejoice and be glad in Thee; [I worship the true God—I have every reason to rejoice!  Why do I allow myself to get discouraged when I have every REASON to rejoice?  So REJOICE!] Let those who love Thy salvation say continually: “The Lord be magnified!” [For He has done great things!] (Ps. 40:11-12, 16)

Hear my cry, O God:  Give heed to my prayer. [I can be confident in praying, for He does hear my prayers.  The Spirit also intercedes on my behalf.]  From the end of the earth I call to Thee when my heart is faint; [I feel like I. can’t. do. this. any. longer. But He hears my prayer and sees my faintness of heart and my feeble faith.] Lead me to the rock that is higher than I [It’s higher than I am: it’s a place of shelter and security, far above the storms surrounding me.] for Thou hast  been a refuge for me, a tower of strength against the enemy. [How do I flee to this refuge?]  Let me dwell in Thy tent forever; [Abide in His presence, worship Him, and one day I will be forever in His presence—hallelujah! What a day!] Let me take refuge in the shelter of Thy wings. [And so He takes me through life’s storms…as I trust Him & run to Him for strength and grace each day.] [Selah]  (Ps. 61:1-4)

I shall remember the deeds of the LORD; surely I will remember Thy wonders of old.  I will meditate on all Thy work, and muse on Thy deeds. [God has done great things—both in my life and throughout history.  But I forget about them and doubt whether God will “pull through” this time.  It does the soul good to recount those things that He has done in the past!] Thy way, O God, is holy; what god is great like our God?   (Ps. 77:11-13)

As for me, I shall behold Thy face in righteousness; I shall be satisfied with Thy likeness when I awake. [An incredible anticipation of that day when I will be glorified and in His presence…I’ll be like Him and I will see Him as He is. Satisfied in Him.] (Ps. 17:15)

Why are you in despair, O my soul?  And why have you become disturbed within me?  Hope in God [The Answer to that overwhelming despair that threatens to squeeze to death that breath of joy that the Lord gives.] for I shall again praise Him for the help of His presence.   (Ps. 42:5)

He who dwells [continual abiding in His presence]in the shelter of the Most High will abide in the shadow of the Almighty.  I will say to the Lord, “My refuge and my fortress.  My God in whom I trust!”   (Ps. 91:1-2)


I don’t know about you, but it has been encouraging to remind myself of these things…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Rejoice and To Weep

On Blogging and Doing It For God's Glory

Miscarriage and Comfort in the Psalms