Freezer Burritos {Or Blessing Someone}

The first week after Talitha was born, my parents were here, so they basically took care of all our meals during that time. 

Then my parents left. 

For almost the next two weeks, ladies from church brought us meals.  It was such a blessing to know that a hot meal was coming each day and I didn’t have to even think about what to make for supper!  (Sometimes that thinking part is the hardest part! haha!)

Anyway… during that time, instead of a hot meal for supper, one friend brought us some frozen breakfast burritos.  Ok guys, let me tell you something: for those of us who always have to have a hot breakfast, those burritos were the best. idea. ever.  Period. 

I say that because, for about the first month after Talitha was born, there were so many mornings I was so tired I could hardly make myself get out of bed, much less get out of bed in time to make Isaac breakfast before he had to leave for work.  (And that’s with my labor and delivery being about as easy and uncomplicated as it can get! I can’t imagine recovery after a more complicated delivery!) 

Anywho…{enter frozen breakfast burritos to save the day!} It was so easy to take out a burrito, microwave it for a couple minutes, and ta-DAH! Breakfast was ready!!  Mmmm… Thanks Bethany!

Now fast-forward three months.

There are still so many mornings when I’m sawing logs in bed busy taking care of her and it’s hard to get a hot breakfast on the table for Isaac before he heads to work.  Fortunately, when it comes to food, Isaac is absolutely the most un-demanding guy ever and will eat pretty much anything put in front of him (Kudos to him for not complaining after eating a fried egg and a bagel for about the 5th day in a row! He’s my favorite! <3)

Anyway… this morning I finally got around to making some more of those freezer burritos for him to eat on those days when he has to fend for himself if he wants something to eat! (It’s only been on my list of things to do for the past week!)

So, to get to my point: these burritos seriously were a special blessing to us those first few weeks!  If you want to make some for yourself or bless someone else who is sick or recently had a baby, here’s how to do them:

1. Fry up a package of frozen potato chunks or hashbrowns until crispy.  (You can also add some diced onion if you want.) Season to taste.

2. In another pan, fry up a 12 or 16 oz package of sausage. Crumble and drain off grease.

3.  When potatoes and meat are done, combine in a large bowl.  Add a small can of green chilies, some more seasoning (if desired), and shredded cheese to taste. Mix together.*
*Isaac prefers to just add a fried egg on top of these instead of having the scrambled eggs inside of them, so I leave out the egg part.  However, the original burritos that were given to us already had eggs in them, so it totally works to freeze scrambled eggs along with the potato/sausage mixture!

4.  Fill a burrito-sized (10 inches, I think) tortilla with the mixture.  I put about 1 cup of filling in each tortilla. 

5.  As you roll up the tortilla, brush a little of a 1:1 ratio cornstarch/water mixture onto the outside flap of the burrito to help it stay shut when you roll it up. (A chimichanga recipe I made once called for this technique, so I thought it might help with keeping these closed as well… I don’t know if it really makes that much of a difference or not… You can take or leave this step.)

6.  Wrap each rolled up burrito with plastic wrap—this not only helps ensure that the burrito doesn’t fall apart in the freezer, I believe it also helps prevent it from getting frosty/icy.

7.  Throw them in a freezer ziplock and freeze to then enjoy them on a crazy morning!  All it takes is
2-3 minutes in the microwave (be sure to take the plastic wrap off first!)


This quantity (1 package potatoes/1 package sausage) will make more or less 6-8 burritos.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Rejoice and To Weep

On Blogging and Doing It For God's Glory

Miscarriage and Comfort in the Psalms