My Review of Daily Grace's Bible Highlighters



I had never heard of using highlighters as an approach to intentional Bible study until a few months ago when I listened to this podcast episode from the Daily Grace Co. Obviously, this approach doesn't encompass everything there is to studying the Bible, but it has opened my eyes to the possibility of using this relatively simple approach to help promote intentional engagement with the text! 

Since I've started using specific colors for specific topics, I have found myself more attentive as I read.

Here's how I use four of the six colors: 

BLUE = Specific descriptions of God 
YELLOW = Specific descriptions of Christ/prophecies of Christ 
GREEN = Commands (think "go!) 
ORANGE = Warnings
PINK = (Yet to be determined) 
PURPLE = (Yet to be determined)
 
So when The Daily Grace's special Bible highlighters went on sale, I grabbed a set and have begun using them. Here are my thoughts on these particular highlighters:

Pros: 
- They're super smooth and glide across the page. They feel almost like a super-silky crayon.

- They definitely live up to the claim to not bleed through the page! 

- There are several different sets of colors to choose from.

- Unlike traditional highlighters that are essentially markers ("wet"), these Bible highlighters are more similar to a crayon ("dry".)

- They're twistable, so as the tip wears down, you can twist it up for a better tip.

Cons: 
- Because these highlighters are gel-based, they are different from your traditional highlighter. This means the tip is more like a crayon than a marker; it also means that the actual tip wears down with use.

-The tip can be easily damaged (i.e. get dented if dropped).

- The physical tip of the highlighter is flat on the tip, with a rounded base (think "bullet with the point cut off") instead of the angled chisel-tip of traditional highlighters. This makes it a bit trickier to get a sharp, crisp line.

- I've noticed a slight change of color once the highlighter is on paper, particularly with the yellow (it changes from a "neon yellow" to a "sunshine yellow.") Not bad, just odd.

- I have noticed one or two of my highlighters getting a white, dry coating of some sort on them; however, this doesn't seem to affect the color. One of the highlighters that is particularly "dry" looking seems to also leave a little bit of a waxy residue. 

Final Thoughts 
Would I say that you have to have these particular highlighters for highlighting in your Bible? No.  

But I do like them. Alot. 

So if you want to buy these specific highlighters, here's my suggestion: don't buy them full-price! The Daily Grace is always having sales, so wait for the highlighters to go on sale and then grab a set!  

One final thought: it is fun to find fun new tools to help us study the Word. But these tools are not to replace actually being in the Word. So grab your highlighters and then actually put them to use by reading the Word!

Happy Highlighting! 

**And in case you were wondering, no, I am not getting paid to promote these highlighters, neither am I at all affiliated with the Daily Grace Co. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Rejoice and To Weep

On Blogging and Doing It For God's Glory

Miscarriage and Comfort in the Psalms