Why I'm Loving Journibles



Have I mentioned how much I like them?!? I've recently finished my Galatians-2 Thessalonians Journible. This is the first time that I've used a Journible for more than a few days and haven't gotten side-tracked. The more I journible, the more I love it and appreciate the simplicity of the concept of copying down Scripture. 

I don't know about you, but no matter how many times I've been instructed in the steps of Bible study--Observe, Interpret, Apply--it is still a complicated and confusing process, and one that quickly overwhelms me. Maybe I'm dense, maybe it is my personality, or maybe it is just my learning style. Whatever it is, I need help in simplifying these steps in my mind, and I think Journibles have helped to do just that

Here's why I love the concept behind Journible-ing

1. It slows me down 
Because the idea is to copy down every single word of the passage, I not only have to read the words, I also have to write it out. 

The process of not just writing but copying something forces my brain to actually focus on the words it is reading and then writing. Not only that, but essentially, by the time I've copied down a passage, word for word, I've read each word at least twice, maybe even more. This helps me remember better what I just read!

I think we would all profit from slowing waaaay down when we read Scripture.

2. Questions pop into mind 
Because I write much slower than my brain can read and think, my brain does a lot of processing while I write. And for this reason, while I write, my brain actually has time to come up with questions and observations about what is going on in the passage, right then and there, as I copy down the passage. 

I think these kinds of questions and observations--the ones that I am genuinely interested in actually finding an answer for--are the kinds of questions we should be asking about a text when we study Scripture. 

3. Themes jump out 
Again, it's all about having to write it out: when manually writing out a passage, themes begin to surface, especially when specific words, such as affliction, rejoicing/joy, unity, walk, and encourage, are repeated, over and over again. All of a sudden, the themes woven throughout a book become more clear. And it's all because you remember "oh yeah! I remember having to write about something concerning affliction a few verses or chapters back!" 

And so, as I ask questions that come to mind and slowly begin to connect the dots of the themes and arguments of the book, Journibles have helped me to subconsciously being working through the "Observe" portion of Bible study: What does the passage say? 

4.  Opportunities to find answers 
Because of how Journibles are set up with the left page being for questions/observations/other notes and the right page for copying the passage, there is ample space designated to each verse for jotting down questions that come to mind. In turn, there is also room to note any answers for those questions that may be found within the text or with digging around in other parts of Scripture (as I something get sidetracked doing when I look up cross-references!) One of my favorite questions to ask when I come upon a prominent theme in a passage is "How does Scripture trace this theme/idea?" 

And so, when I recently worked through 1 Thessalonians 5:5 where it discusses being children of light, I asked "Where else does Scripture discuss us being children of the light/day?" and as I started looking up cross-references, I was able to record those references/further observations about this theme right next to the verse.

I think this aspect to Journibles has helped me to move beyond "What does the passage say" to "What does the passage mean?" (Or, in other words, to move from observation to interpretation.)

5. Reference for later 
 The handy thing about Journibles (or using a notebook) is that the passage and any questions or observations are all recorded together, side-by-side. In the future, I can pick up the Journible and reference questions I may have noted or remind myself of the connections between verses that surfaced as I worked through a passage. 

Yes, in case you can't tell, I am absolutely loving this Journible idea. It is such a simple idea, but the process has been incredibly helpful in helping me study Scripture for myself. You should try it out for yourself!

And yes, in case you haven't figured it out, you can duplicate this idea using just a plain notebook!

Left page = questions/observations/notes. Right page = passage. Pretty much the only advantage to using a specific Journible is that it is hard-bound and has occasional prompts for notes. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Rejoice and To Weep

On Blogging and Doing It For God's Glory

Miscarriage and Comfort in the Psalms