American Feijoada {Or Cheater Brazilian Black Beans}

Traditionally, feijoada is Brazilian black bean dish that includes various parts of the cow that we usually don’t eat (such as stomach and other such parts of the intestines) and is considered a delicacy.

To be honest, I don’t think I’ve ever actually had the real feijoada with such ingredients.  Instead, I’ve just had the alternative method of preparing it that has the undesirable ingredients swapped out for linguica (a type of sausage.)

In a desperate attempt to figure out something for supper the a couple weeks ago, I decided to concoct a black bean dish to put over rice. 

Without meaning to, this dish accidentally ended up being similar to what I remember feijoada to be!  What a nice surprise!  We went from never eating Brazilian food to having these black beans almost every week!

This cheater feijoada dish is definitely going on my list of last-minute, fast, super easy, yummy meals to make when Talitha is being needy and whiney and my brain can’t come up with anything else to make! 

(Yes, it uses canned beans.  Yes, they actually are a decent alternative to cooking the beans from scratch.  And yes, I guess I’ve become very American in my cooking habits…)

Ingredients:
1 large onion, cut into chunks
1 peppers, cut into chunks
1/2 lb keilbasa sausage, cut into chunks
1-2 cans black beans, undrained

Saute the onions, peppers, and sausage until the veggies are tender.

Add the undrained beans to the veggies and meat.  If you want, you can add a little water to make a little more juice. 

Simmer until the beans are heated through.

ta-DAH!

Supper is ready!

Serve over hot rice.

Comments

  1. We eat some version of this a lot! Ground beef, chicken, Kielbasa sausage. I didn't realize we were being Brasilian this whole time ;).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

To Rejoice and To Weep

On Blogging and Doing It For God's Glory

Miscarriage and Comfort in the Psalms