On Salad, Granola, and Cabbage Rolls

Here are some new recipes that I’ve tried lately and I think they are well on their way to being made quite often around here!

1.  Curried Chicken Apple Salad
I love. love. love the curry twist to your normal grilled chicken salad! Don’t let the curry scare you off!  And then having chunks of apple (I used Granny Smith apples) made it even better!  I’m finding that even if I don’t make this whole recipe (with the fruit and nuts and dressing) I like having the curry flavor on the chicken to dress up a regular lettuce salad.

2.  Pumpkin Granola
 Isaac calls this "ludicrously good!"  Can you ever go wrong with pumpkin?  I don’t think so.  Haha…
Anyway, I should warn you before you even look at the recipe: this isn’t your average bowl of healthy-oatmeal-granola-for-breakfast. In fact, you might find out that you have a selfish-streak in you (which of course we all have, unfortuniately), and you just might be tempted to eat it all before anyone else can get a taste of it.  Because once you taste this granola, your taste buds will crave just one more bite…and then another…and another…because you just can’t go wrong with pumpkin, nuts, and coconut!  

Note #1: While the original recipe does not include oatmeal, I’m sure you could add oatmeal to it and it still be just as YuMmY!

Note #2: And yes, in case you were wondering, even though this recipe is full of healthy ingredients like nuts and coconut oil, it is definitely really rich!

3. Stuffed Cabbage Rolls [Angie-style: in a skillet]
I don’t remember ever eating stuffed cabbage rolls growing up. In fact, I don’t think I’ve ever eaten them.  But I happened across this recipe and decided to give it a try. Mmmm…there is just something about cabbage that is so comfort-food-ish (especially if you serve it together with some mashed cauliflower! Now THAT stuff is amazing!!)
I will admit that I didn’t follow this recipe exactly—it served as more of a guideline for what ingredients are supposed to be in stuffed cabbage rolls, not the actual quantities or the process.  But...for what it is worth, I linked to the recipe anyway.
Anyway, here’s what I did instead of doing the tedious process of making rolls and then baking them for 2 hours [who has time for that??] I chopped the cabbage, steamed it, then layered it in skillet with the rest of the ingredients.  It is the same ingredients and flavors, with a fraction of the work and time from start to finish!  I let it simmer for 10-15 minutes and ta-DAH!  It was time to eat!

By the way, you can easily do the whole turn-a-baked-casserole-into-a-skillet-casserole with other casseroles as well.  It is easiest when all the ingredients are already fully cooked and it is just a matter of heating it all up...but I'm sure it would work with other casseroles as well!   Tuna noodle casserole and enchiladas are two other recipes that have turned out really well as stove-top recipes!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Rejoice and To Weep

On Blogging and Doing It For God's Glory

Miscarriage and Comfort in the Psalms