Bible Reading 2016

With 2016 almost here,  the New Year provides an opportunity to start new goals for our Bible reading/study routine. Maybe you already have something in mind that you're planning on doing.  That’s great!  However, if you don’t, here are some suggestions:

1. Chronological Reading Plan:
      This is the kind of plan I've been using this year and I’ve really enjoyed it (I am dreadfully behind though…)  Reading all of the events of the life of David side-by-side, along with various Psalms mixed in, has made things fit together a lot better in my mind!  Or reading the Major Prophets and all the pronouncements of judgment that are being made makes a lot more sense when they are  side-by-side with events going on in Kings and Chronicles.
      The Chronological approach is really helpful in getting a mental grasp on how all the historical events, the Old Testament prophecies, poetic literature, New Testament epistles and so on fit together as a whole!  I think it would have been really helpful for me to have used this approach when I read the Bible for Old and New Testament Survey classes back in Bible school!

2.  Read through the Bible in a different version.
      Changing up the version you read can sometimes be really helpful.  The KJV is the version I am most familiar with; it is a great version, and it still what I use primarily (especially if I want to study out something.)  However, when reading in a different version, a different word or sentence structure might make a totally familiar passage jump off the page in a whole new way!    As I’ve been doing the chronological reading plan, I’ve been using my gift edition New American Standard Bible.  Reading Isaiah in the NASB has made it much easier to follow what is actually going on in the passage!
       And just to be clear: this is not a "get-rid-of-your-old-version-and try-a-new-one" rant.  Just don't be afraid to try a new version and see how God will use it to help you grow in your understanding of His Word! 

3. Read through the Bible in a Year
      This is one of the classic goals for Bible reading.  It is still a good one…and also a very do-able one. It just takes some discipline and intentionally to actually accomplish the goal!  There is something about reading through the entire Bible within a period of time that helps with becoming familiar with the whole of Scripture...If you've never read through the entire Bible, you should! Here are 7 reasons why!
      There are many different plans available for free online.   My favorite one is the Discipleship Journal Reading Plan  that my parents introduced me to back when I was in grade school.  It's unique approach is that it allows 5 days at the end of each month to catch up.  If you’re going to be strict with yourself about actually accomplishing this goal, allowing room to catch up when you get a late start to your morning or when you have company for a week or when life is just plain crazy busy, 5 extra days each month is a lifesaver!  Even a child can do this one!

4.  Pick a book of the Bible and write it out
      It sounds simplistic because it  is!  The only materials you need is your Bible and a pen and paper.  It is amazing how the discipline of simply writing out each word of a verse makes you actually think about each word as you write it!  If you want to take this approach a little bit further, jot down thoughts/questions/observations next to the verses.

5.  Phrasing
      Perhaps this approach fits better under the “Bible study methods” than “ways to read the Bible” but I think I still fits into a “New Year’s Goal for Growing in Studying the Word.”  :)
      I came across this method earlier this year and I love it.  It a really straightforward method to help break down a passage and get the details of the passage.  Basically, when you phrase, you subordinate {indent} each phrase underneath the word that it modifies. If you’re interested in learning more about this approach,  I posted about it earlier this year.

6.  Pray through the Psalms
      If you haven’t read it yet, you should read Praying the Bible by Donald Whitney and let it help you get started on your goal to pray through the Psalms in 2016.  This could also be a springboard for journaling/writing out your prayers (I find myself doing this quite often.)  The Psalms are crammed with declarations of God’s character that we need reminding of quite regularly.

7.  Work through Study a book of the Bible
      This is something that I'd like to actually do sometime...like not just start one, but actually finish it!  Doing a personal study of a book of the Bible (using just the Bible and perhaps some study tools) takes a lot of effort and diligence, but I'm sure the outcome is well worth it!  Now that I think of it, maybe this should be my goal for Bible study in 2016!

8. Use a variety of the above methods  {self-explanatory.}



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Rejoice and To Weep

On Blogging and Doing It For God's Glory

Miscarriage and Comfort in the Psalms