DIY Short Sleeves!

Sometimes I come up with a made-up DIY project (or even try a diy project that someone else has done) and it is a flop. (I'm going to blame it on all Pinterest.)

Other times, I come up with a project and it actually turns out! Yay! 

This little project was one of those those projects that turned out.  It was a simple project, but it made me feel quite accomplished! haha...

Anyway, a while back I found a nice maternity t-shirt for a couple bucks.  I liked the color and style.  The only problem with it was that it had long sleeves!  And considering that I plan to wear it during the height of summer, that is a major problem!

But I decided that it shouldn’t be too hard to make it into a short-sleeved shirt.  So I went ahead and bought the shirt.

I found another shirt with sleeves that were simply cut off, folded up, and then tacked in place with a few simple stitches. (You can kind of see one of the little stitches.)

How hard can it be to do that?  


I laid my long-sleeved shirt on top of the short-sleeved shirt to get an idea of how long the sleeves needed to be.  

              Then I cut off the sleeves. (I literally just eyeballed it…no measuring or pinning!) Easy!
(Correction: after I posted this, I remembered that I did actually roughly measure the length of the sleeve before I cut it, just to make sure I in the same ballpark as far length goes!) 


Then I folded the edge over twice and ironed it to make a nice sharp crease. 
 Again, no precise measuring or pinning.


After ironing the fold, all that was left to do was make a few stitches in 4 different spots (top and bottom, and halfway in between the top and bottom on both sides.)  
These 4 little tack stitches took a total of about 5 minutes to do.
                  So do that times two sleeves, and the whole project took all of about 15 minutes total                                                                               (including the cutting and ironing)!
My little DIY project looks pretty much like the sleeves from the store-bought shirt. 


 Here’s the new short sleeved t-shirt, ready for when that baby girl gets too big to fit into my regular clothes.                     24 weeks down. 16 more to go!  Ahhh... <3

Anyway, I’m pretty happy with how this project turned out!  
I think I will keep this idea in mind for another time when I want short sleeves instead of long ones! 



And while I'm at it, I want to try making this infant headband or this one  with the long sleeves that I cut off.  We'll see how that goes! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Rejoice and To Weep

On Blogging and Doing It For God's Glory

Miscarriage and Comfort in the Psalms