Reflections on the Psalms

The Psalms continue to produce timeless encouragement.  Over and over, they remind the reader to lift up his eyes to the Savior, back to the One who made us and loves us, and Whose everlasting character is the very reason we cry out to Him.

Reading Psalm 25 this morning was a good reminder of this.  This particular Psalm is pretty easily broken down into "God, this is Who You are.  Because of Your character, hear this pitiful cry of mine.  It is about You, not me."  

Verse 2-3 -- Let me not be put to shame...
                    ...because I trust in You and wait for You.
Verse 5 -- Lead me in Your truth...
                Teach me...
                    ...because You are the God of my salvation.
Verse 6 --    ... Remember Your mercy
                    ... Remember Your steadfast love.
Verse 7 -- Remember not the sins of my youth...
                 Remember not my transgressions...
                 Remember me...
                    ...according to your steadfast love,
                   ...for the sake of Your goodness, O LORD!
Verse 8 -- Instruct sinners in the way...
                   ...because You are good.
                   ...because You are upright.
Verse 9 -- Lead the humble...
                Teach the humble...
                   ...in Your right ways.
Verse 10 -- Those who keep His covenant and His testimonies...
                   ...walk in the paths of His steadfast love and faithfulness.
Verse 11 -- Pardon my guilt...
                   ...for Your name's sake, O LORD.
Verse 14 -- Be a friend...
                   Make known Your covenant...
                     ...to those who fear You.
Verse 20 -- Guard my soul...
                   Deliver me...
                   Let me not be put to shame...
                    ...for I take refuge in You.
Verse 21 -- May integrity and uprightness preserve me...
                    ...for I wait for You.

I had to re-word a few of the verses, but you can see the pattern over and over again: "Because of You and Your character, I ask that You do these things.  This is about Your glory and Your reputation, not mine."  It adds so much more weight to the Psalmist's prayer, for he is asking God to act according to Who He is, not according to the passing fancies of the human heart.

This brings encouragement not only in moments of distress and sadness, when we need the reminder to lift our eyes back to the Savior, but also in those areas of sin and weakness that we struggle with over and over again.  It gives hope for victory.  It gives strength--not in ourselves, but in God--to confront those areas of sin and hold God to His Word.  

In unbelief..."Lord help my unbelief...because of Your glory.  Make me to walk by faith."

In unlove towards others... "Lord, make me to love with Your Love...because You are Love."

In lingering in the pleasures of sin... "Lord, cause me to flee the pleasures of sin...because You alone are everlasting joy compared to the fleeting pleasures of this world."

In unforgiveness and bitterness.. "Lord, make me want to forgive...because You have forgiven me and Your love abides in me."

And the list could go on.  Praise God for His everlasting goodness.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Blogging and Doing It For God's Glory

A story in pictures...

To Rejoice and To Weep