As a Newly-Wed…

…I have been learning a few things.  Over the last month and a half, Isaac and I have laughed over various things as we set up house and figure out life together as a couple. Here are a few tips for those of you who are not married yet:

1.  It is not always worth it to go for the cheapest quality in order to save money.  Even though many times one cannot tell any difference between a name brand product and a generic brand product, at least in the area of can openers, do not skimp.  I now have two different kinds of can openers in the kitchen drawer, and neither one works.  I am now forced to resort to the faithful Leatherman. 

2.  There is a reason for those sometimes intricate, sometimes simple, designs on silverware: It helps that spoon, fork, and occasional knife, from sliding down the edge of the plate and into your food or off the plate.  Trust me—I speak from experience.  

3.  Do not try baking while the sun beats outside.  I nearly drove Isaac out of the house it was so warm inside.  Fortunately, I think I redeemed myself with the fresh bread that we had for supper.

4.  It is fun to work on a project together.  Isaac and I arrived in Hot Springs, South Dakota the middle of June, a little late for doing much of a garden, but we decided to try on anyway.  We are now coaxing a small 8x8-foot garden into producing some kind of fresh garden goods.  So far, it looks like we’ll have a bunch of radishes and cucumbers, as well as a few tomatoes.

5.  Learn how to cook before you get married.  I may be blessed with a husband who is particularly enthusiastic and verbal about his appreciation for food, but I think the saying about “The way to a man’s heart is through his stomach” is quite true. Sometime soon, I’ll share the recipe for the bread I made that is seriously the easiest and most amazing bread recipe ever!  

6. Turned-off electric ovens do not lose their heat very quickly. I found this out the hard way: Keeping pizza warm in the oven for an hour is a bad idea, even with the oven turned off. The result of such an attempt? The worst pizza I’ve ever made. Or, to be more extreme, something that can barely qualify as pizza. Fortunately, Isaac was a good sport about it and ate it all anyway! 

I am sure there are many more entertaining moments to come... :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Rejoice and To Weep

On Blogging and Doing It For God's Glory

Miscarriage and Comfort in the Psalms