Psalms and the Character of God

Have I mentioned how encouraging the book of Psalms has been to me lately?

“Blessed be the LORD, because He has heard the voice of my supplication. 
The LORD is my strength and my shield, my heart trusts in Him and I am helped;  Therefore my heart exults, and with my song I shall thank Him. / The LORD is their strength, and He is a saving defense to His anointed. / Save Thy people, and bless Thine inheritance; Be their shepherd also, and carry them forever.  (Psalm 28:6-9)

“I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living. / Wait for the LORD; be strong, and let your heart take courage; Yes, wait for the LORD.  (Psalm 27:13-14)

“His work is honourable and glorious: and His righteousness endureth forever. / He hath made His wonderful works to be remembered: the LORD is gracious and full of compassion.  (Psalm 111:3-4)

“Make me to know Thy ways, O LORD; Teach me Thy paths.  Lead me in Thy truth and teach me.  For Thou art the God of my salvation;  For Thee I wait all day.”  (Psalm 25:4-5)

Good and upright is the LORD; all the paths of the LORD are lovingkindness and truth, to those who keep His covenant and His testimonies.” (Psalm 25:8,10)

“As for God, His way is blameless; the Word of the LORD is tried; He is a shield to all who take refuge in Him. / For who is God, but the Lord?  And who is a rock, except our God, the God who girds me with strength, and makes my way blameless?  He makes my feet like hinds’ feet, and set me upon high places.” (Psalm 18:30-33)

“But I have trusted in Thy lovingkindness;  My heart shall rejoice in Thy salvation.  I will sin to the LORD, because He has dealt bountifully with me.” (Psalm 13:5-6)

“Thou, O LORD, wilt not withhold Thy compassion from me; Thy lovingkindness and Thy truth will continually preserve me.  Let all who seek Thee rejoice and be glad in Thee; Let those who love Thy salvation say continually ‘The Lord  be magnified!”  Since I am afflicted and needy, let the LORD be mindful of me; Thou art my help  and my deliverer.  Do not delay, O my God.” (Psalm 40:11, 16, 17)

“For the LORD is righteous; He loves righteousness; the upright will behold His face.” (Psalm 11:7)

“If Thy law had not been my delight, then I would have perished in my affliction.  I will not forget Thy precepts, for by them Thou hast revived me.” (Psalm 119:92-93)

“Give thanks to the LORD, for He is good; for His lovingkindness is everlasting. / Oh let those who fear the LORD say, His lovingkindness is everlasting. / It is better to take refuge in the LORD than to trust in man. / Thou art my God, I extol Thee.  Thou art my God, and I give thanks to Thee. / Give thanks to the LORD, for He is good; for His lovingkindness is everlasting. (Psalm 118:1,4,8,28,29)

“I will extol Thee, my God, O King; and I will bless Thy name forever and ever. / Every day I will bless Thee, and I will praise Thy name forever and ever. / Great is the LORD, and highly to be praised; and His greatness is unsearchable. / One generation shall praise Thy words to another, and shall declare Thy mighty acts. / On the glorious splendor of thy majesty, and on Thy wonderful works, I will meditate. / And men shall speak of the power of Thine awesome acts; and I will tell of Thy greatness. / They shall eagerly utter the memory of Thine abundant goodness, and shall shout joyfully of Thy righteousness. / The LORD is gracious and merciful; slow to anger and great in lovingkindness. / The LORD is good to all, and His mercies are over all His works. / All Thy works shall give thanks to Thee, O LORD, and Thy godly ones shall bless Thee. / They shall speak of the glory of Thy kingdom and talk of Thy power; / to make known to the sons of men Thy mighty acts, and the glory of the majesty of Thy kindgom. / Thy kingdom is an everlasting kingdom, and Thy dominion endures throughout all generations. / Thou dost open Thy hand, and dost satisfy the desire of every living thing. / The LORD is near to all who call upon Him, to all who call upon Him in truth. / He will fulfill the desire of those who fear Him, He will also hear their cry and will save them.  The LORD keeps all who love Him, but the wicked He will destroy.  (Psalm 145) 

Sometimes it is difficult to identify how a particular Psalm is applicable to this particular point in time (especially those Psalms where David prays that God would wipe out his enemies…whaaat? Don’t think we’re supposed to be praying quite like that…) Anyway, I’ve found the Psalms to be an incredible mine of never-changing truths about God’s character.  Even in the few verses I already listed, there are numerous declarations about God that are true, no matter what time in history you’re living in:

  • Over and over, we read about the goodness of the LORD and our appropriate response of thankfulness to Him. 
  • His deeds are honorable and glorious.
  • He is righteous, gracious, compassionate, merciful.
  • His ways are blameless, marked by lovingkindness and truth.  It is His very lovingkindness and truth that preserve us!
  • His majesty and the greatness of His works are to be the meditation of our hearts and the message on our lips.
  • His kingdom and reign is forever. 

I know that’s not all there is to the Psalms, but sometimes [or rather, mostly all the time!] these  simple and straightforward reminders of Who God is have become the spiritual food that sustains me as I go through each day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Rejoice and To Weep

On Blogging and Doing It For God's Glory

Miscarriage and Comfort in the Psalms