On Writing and Improving it

I am finding that I enjoy writing and putting my thoughts down into words for others to read.  Writing something that is [hopefully] coherent to others  helps me to wade through my jumbled thoughts and opinions.  Putting something down in words forces me to grasp at that ambiguous idea  floating around in my head, become passionate about it, and then work to make it concrete enough to explain it to someone else so that they too might become passionate about it.

Maybe that is part of why I enjoy writing on this blog.

With that said, I've been reading up on how to improve my writing.  Here are some books that have been helpful:

- Writing with Style, by John R. Trimble is my current reading material.  The author effectively gets his points across through an easy, conversational style.  

- On Writing Well, by William Zinnsser was also a helpful read, particularly the first-half or so.  You can find it for free online HERE.

- Challies has recommended Wordsmithy, by Doug Wilson as a good read on becoming a better writer.  I would like to read it (but haven’t, since it isn't readily available for free online.)

You readers out there who also enjoy writing: any thoughts/pointers/critiques on my writing and how I can improve it?  I don’t have teachers to hand in my papers to anymore, so you all are now the ones who have to give the feedback!  Leave a comment or facebook me—I’d love any kind of feedback!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Rejoice and To Weep

On Blogging and Doing It For God's Glory

Miscarriage and Comfort in the Psalms